Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Cesarean rates...


I love that we can find so much information on the internet.  As we watch movies like "The Business of Being Born" and "Pregnant in America" we may be appalled, or fascinated, or like me, both of those things, but we may also wonder about the facts.  As I watched "The Business of Being Born", although I really appreciated it, and found it worth watching, I thought of the Michael Moore documentaries that seem to look at things from the most extreme angle possible. 



Cesareans can be amazing, life-saving operations, one cannot negate that fact.  It is the frequency with which they are being performed that is the questionable part.  As women plan cesareans to know the exact date that their child will be born, as cesareans are performed on women for "failure to progress", as they are performed because a woman has already had one cesarean and it was recommended that she not try again to have a vaginal birth, we see a pattern of disconnect; of physicians not looking out for their patients.  A cesarean section is major abdominal surgery and I believe that this is often forgotten.  There are risks to both mother and child, both during the surgery and post-surgery.  Like I said, cesareans can be necessary, life-saving operations, but it just seems to me, that we as a country need to look at how we view birth, we need to remind women that they are strong, that birth is natural, and that they can do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment